So last night I chose to make over Jamie Oliver’s Ricotta Fritters with Tomato Sauce and was surprised to find it was pretty clean to start with.
These are the ingredients and those ‘struck through’ are what I left out, primarily because I don’t like them, some I swapped out and the balsamic I simply didn’t have any to hand.
For the sauce
25 g dried porcini mushrooms ( I swapped these for a portobello)
4 anchovy fillets , optional
1 dried red chilli
2 cloves of garlic
700g passata (I used 290gms of Watties tomato puree)
8 black olives (stone in)
½ a bunch of fresh basil
For the fritters
1 large free-range egg
400 g ricotta cheese (I used 250gms of Perfect Italiano Light Ricotta)
1 whole nutmeg, for grating
40 g Parmesan cheese (I used 30gms)
1 heaped tablespoon plain flour (I used wholemeal breadcrumbs)
olive oil (I used Rice Bran cooking spray)
balsamic vinegar (I would have put this in if I had had some)
As I was making this only for myself I halved a few of the ingredients but still got two meals out of it, with three 1/4 cup sized fritters in each meal and plenty of tomato sauce (Jamie’s version there are two fritter per serving). I think I could definitely try it with basil next time and you do not need to add any salt.
To make them beautiful and golden you really do need to use oil to cook them but as I was going for clean and low calories I didn’t mind that they didn’t look really pretty.
Also I used breadcrumbs not flour because I’m still researching which is the best clean flour that is actually available at my local supermarket.
In terms of the calories:
Jamie’s site says it’s 408 per serving but when I worked it out I got 508 per serving (including the salad he made on the show)
If you deduct the salad I worked Jamie’s calories to be 433
Mine worked out to be 331
This will mostly be be down to leaving out ingredients, choosing a light ricotta and not using oil or all in all it’s a pretty clean and low calorie meal by Mr Oliver but I would still make mine the same as I did next time because I enjoyed it as it was.
So what’s with the ‘canned’ tomato puree? Two reasons, firstly price – the cost of getting enough tomatoes to make the same volume of puree is at least triple if not quadruple at the moment and secondly it’s 98% tomatoes (the other 2% are salt, sugar & citric acid) and is well within my clean eating limit of 90%.